We're hiring a Year End Accountant. Here's everything you need to know if you're interested in the role.
We're Hiring a Senior Cloud Accountant
Founded in 2008, Blu Sky employs over 20 people across two teams: our delivery team of accountants and tax experts (based from home across the North East of England) and our client relationship directors (located wherever the client needs them!).
At Blu Sky, our vision is ‘to be pioneers in the future of accounting for SMEs’. Our team combined with our cloud accounting technology enables us to inspire the future story of client businesses through numbers.
In 2018 we won the prestigious Xero UK mid-sized firm of the year award. And over the last few years our ambition to grow nationally from our base in the North East has gathered momentum, with 20% of clients based in London at the end of 2020. We are looking to hire talented individuals that will help continue our growth and contribute towards our growing reputation.
‘Insights’ is our key end to end strategic product, taking the data from raw book-keeping through to the production of management accounts, board packs, and (in line with client needs and service levels), in-depth analysis. The end product provides key client value in being the main financial tools they utilise to plan and manage their business.
As the senior technician within our Insights and VAT team, and in effect the ‘second in command’ to the Insights Team Leader (who reports directly to the CEO), it will be your responsibility to both deliver and help others drive quality, delivery and expertise in your area. Using your skills effectively, you’ll be able to identify and solve problems, and educate and mentor less experienced team members, whilst supporting the client relationship directors to deliver a five star service to our clients. As well as our wider company goals and objectives.
The successful candidate should have the ability to effectively deliver high quality output for key clients, and to communicate across the business to both technical and non-technical stakeholders both commercial and accounting topics.
The purpose of the Senior Cloud Accountant (CAS) role is to ensure the year end team plans and delivers specified deliverables in accordance with planning and quality requirements.
The key responsibilities and duties of the CAS role are:
- Delivery of MI/Insights to desired quality thresholds and timescales.
- Delivery of other ad hoc work, including but not constrained to budget, forecasting, and migration tasks.
- Technical and commercial expertise in producing and analysing output for clients.
- Mentoring and coaching other team members.
- Supporting the relevant team leader in all or any aspects of running the team.
- Participating in product development to assist with delivery of the Blu Sky product road map, anticipating what our clients need and want.
- Reviewing deliverables within the team to ensure a consistent high quality of work.
- The ideal candidate would have spent time within a similar team in an accounting practice, or has been in a technical or client facing role.
- Strong knowledge of management accounts production, VAT and forecasting.
- Strong understanding of the impact of deliverables on the client and as input to the year end team.
- Organised, with excellent personal time management skills.
- Strong planning skills. Quickly able to process, synthesise and reason about information in order to prioritise and define delivery requirements.
- Excellent oral, written, presentation, and interpersonal communication.
- A desire to self-research (supported by CPD) to continue to be on top of the game technically.
- Experience in mentoring and coaching junior team members.
As a bonus
It would be great if you also had:
- Experience using Xero, Receipt Bank, or similar cloud accountancy software.
- Experience in mentoring and coaching junior team members.
- Experience in change management and delivery.
Key Performance Indicators
The role is measured against the following KPI’s:
- Delivery of team output according to plan
- Quality Scores
- Adherence to core values
- Employee engagement (measurables needed for all)
We can be flexible for the right person, the offer made will be dependent on experience.
The Holidays and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 25 days of annual leave, plus a ‘special occasions day’.
- Commitment to growing your professional development and a training budget to support that commitment.
- Eligibility for our flexible working arrangement, giving you the power to manage your time and place of work.
If you pass one stage, you will proceed to the next. We try to give feedback to you if your application is unsuccessful but this is not always possible.
Phase 2 is as much about giving you the opportunity to find out as much as possible about us and our company as it is about us finding out about you and your capabilities. We want you to be as excited about joining Blu Sky as we are about being here! With that philosophy in mind, we will be running the following selection process to ensure that each candidate is given a comprehensive view of what we are all about:
- Screening – We will review your application.
- Stage One – Initial interview with two senior team members.
- If Stage One is successful, the completion of an online behavioural competency questionnaire.
- Stage Two – Second Interview with the senior team where we can discuss the output of the questionnaire and you can ask any further questions.
- Stage Three – ‘Fireside Chat’ Interview with one of our founders.
Offer and References
Where appropriate, we initially make a verbal offer. Upon verbal acceptance we will make a formal written offer, subject to references.
Diversity and Inclusion
We believe that the best workplaces celebrate and promote diversity. We are committed to ensuring that Blu Sky is an equal opportunity employer. And we think it’s right to build a company where everybody is welcome, with an open culture that thrives on not just our similarities, but also our differences.
Part of this commitment is our promise that every team member and job applicant is treated equally, regardless of protected characteristics such as race, sexuality, religion or age.
Our company values – ownership, trust, no surprises, bigger than me, and doing it right – capture the essence of this statement, but we’re now being clear that this is key to our mission.
Are you passionate about joining a great team of pioneering accountants who want to drive accountancy through the 202s? Does working in a fast-paced environment that’s growing quickly sound exciting to you?
To apply, send your CV over to email@example.com. Make sure to include a little bit about yourself and why you want to work at Blu Sky in your email.
Here's everything you need to know if you're interested in being a Senior Cloud Accountant at Blu Sky.
It's an exciting time at Blu Sky as we look to hire a Cloud Accountant. Here's everything you need to know if you're interested in the role.